Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Hippo Nation

The citizens of Hutto, Texas have a problem. More accurately they have an obsession which is bordering on problematic. Merriam-Webster defines obsession as "a persistent disturbing preoccupation with an often unreasonable idea or feeling".

Hippos. The majestic river horses of Africa. They are everywhere.

The city of Hutto is slowly being taken over by small cement statues of hippos strategically placed in homeowners' yards, in front of businesses, and guarding the entrances to all of the public schools. Much like the parade of cows in Kansas City or the guitar statues around downtown Austin each of these hippos is painted to reflect a certain theme or the taste of a particular artist.

Its cute. Its quaint. Its kind of weird.

However, these hippos make for a great photo opportunity with a 16 month old little girl. So Tuesday afternoon Katie and I took Adeline around town and photographed her with some of the more interesting hippo statues.



This obsession, this hippo mania has leaked into Adeline's toy collection. Little by little she has been amassing quite a collection of hippo toys. The detailed picture below highlights the various different names of her hippos. It should be noted that the name "Hugs-a-lot-Hippo" is still up for debate in the Jansson household. Other name suggestions included "Creepy-talking-Hippo", "Attention-starved-Hippo-with-seperation-anxiety-issues", and "The Big Pink Hugger". Enough said. Enjoy.



- todd

2 comments:

Kelli said...

I need to bring Caroline to Hutto for a photo shoot! I have had an obsession with hippos since HS and Caroine has inherited my stuffed hippo collection and is adding to her own! :)

I can't believe how big she has gotten!

Anonymous said...

I wrote one message but it did not send so I will only try one more time until I throw this computer through the window.
I love my daily calls from Katie. I will be sad when school starts and I won't get them anymore. It makes me feel closer to both Katie and Adeline. The only thing I would like more is to play UpWords with Katie every night!!
Now about the hippos. What a gorgeous animal. The only animal that has more beauty is the gorgeous and wonderful buffalo!!