Sunday, February 04, 2007

Update from Mommy


Hello all. We've had an interesting and eventful 10 or so days. I woke up on Thursday (1/25) to heavy bleeding and Todd and I rushed to the hospital. When I got there I was having contractions every two minutes. They checked me and my cervix was closed, but when they looked on ultrasound, they were unable to determine the source of the bleeding. After nothing happened the rest of that day, we were sent home late in the evening. The doctor said that if everything was normal throughout the weekend, I could go back to work on Monday. I worked Monday and Tuesday and woke up Wednesday (1/31) to more, heavier bleeding. So-back to the hospital we went. Same routine-check, cervix closed, ultrasound. They still could not determine on ultrasound the source of the bleeding. The doctor said it is probably a marginal placenta abruptio, which means the placenta is pulling away from the uterine wall. Unfortunately, this can only be seen on ultrasound about 50% of the time. A marginal is okay, but if I have a severe abruption, we would have to get to the hospital by ambulance immediately and I would deliver by an emergency cesarean. Since this is a risk, the doctor went ahead and gave me steroid shots to help develop Adeline's lungs in case of emergency delivery. Amanda came and stayed at the hospital with me on Wednesday and Thursday night. On Thursday (2/1) as we were getting discharged, I had a little more bleeding so they kept me a while longer. On Friday (2/2), I began having regular, painful contractions that were coming 5-7 minutes apart, but, thankfully, were not changing my cervix. Saturday (2/3) was uneventful, and we were discharged this morning (Sunday, 2/4). I am on bedrest as of now and will continue to be monitored by the doctor. Addie was already close to 4 pounds at the ultrasound on the 25th, and with the steroid shots, she would have a great chance if I delivered anytime soon. We'll keep you updated, but hopefully, we won't have much to tell in the near future....

No comments: